IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, August 28, 2005

wallman


wallman, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

This is a watercolour painting I've been working on, on and off for the past year. I thought today, I'd post it as well as the other paintings I've been working on but have become stuck as to what to do next. I'm posting them so that I can possible get a better idea as to how to finish them. I feel that sometimes looking at something through a diffferent media allows you to see things from a fresh point of view.

My sticking point with this one as well as the others is whether to add an expression on the face or keep it blank. One part of me feels that it's perfectly ok to have do a figurative painting without visible facial features. Then another part of me feels that if I left a painting without a facial expression then I would be copping out. Then a third part of me feels that if I did a figurative painting without an expression I would be blatenly copying the style of Annie Lee. As you can see with this painting and the ones that followed I'm wracked with indecision as to what to do next...

One sticking point with this painting in particular is whether or not I should add more detail to the background buildings? Also I can't decide if I should continue on with the background brick pattern or leave it be.


link | posted by gail at 11:49 PM |


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 10:42 PM~  

Love the artwork!
Keep at it!

Blogger Jackie Bolen commented at 12:32 AM~  

Do some more of the brick pattern...advice from someone who knows nothing about art!

Blogger Hiddenson commented at 2:46 PM~  

I like it as it is. Myself, I would have probably minimalised the background even more.

What should the attention be drawn to? In my paintings, the subject is all.

You mentioned Annie Lee. I clicked through and noticed that she is not putting any facial feature at all. Where as you painted the glimpse of a face. By the way, I do not paint faces, ever. Drawing, yes, painting, no. And I'm not copying anyone on this.

Follow your feelings and forget about others. We are all influenced anyway, but what you do with your canvas is your business.

Take care.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com