IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Friday, January 21, 2005

This morning it’s still cold as hell outside. Instead of walking to the bus stopped I decided to take the bus instead. My main reason I did this is because there is still ice and snow down on the ground. I believe I’ve expressed my fear numerous times of walking on ice. In fact when it snows I usually walk in the street instead of on the sidewalk.

THE INAUGURATION
I did in fact spend yesterday shaking my tiny fist at the telly. I wanted to join in on one of the many protests that was going on in Washington. I changed my mind at the last minute because of fear of what might happen. I was afraid that there might be a terrorist attack or a particularly vindictive police force.

However, while watching the events unfold on television I was deeply heartened to see all the protesters on Bush’s parade route. It bought a warm fuzzy feeling to my heart. I’m not the only Bush non-supporter in the country!!!

WHAT I’M WEARING:Today, I’m wearing a marigold yellow turtleneck, blue jeans, brown lace up shoes, and a black crew neck sweater. I’m wearing the black sweater to signify my mourning for the death of the US democracy, the loss of legendary alternative radio station WHFS, and the loss of the Out To Lunch Show with Miles and Thrill.

The only thing I have to look forward to is a gallery showing next week of some of my mail art which is a part of the Creative Alliance’s Phoenix Rising Mail Art Show. I think it opens up on the 27th of January. I know you would think I would keep better track of when and where my art work is being shown.

Oh, my God!!!! As I’m typing this at 5:51 am, WTMD, is playing the BEASTIE BOYS!! They never ever play the Beastie Boys. I suppose the reason they never played the Beastie Boys is because they may be considered too hard core for their folk music listening Starbucks chugging soccer mom listeners. Then again the Beastie Boys song they are playing is Girls.

I know I haven’t really expressed the reason why the loss of a radio station such as(WHFS) is such a shock to the system to me. To put it plainly, WHFS has played alternative music for well over 30 years!! They have been on air for nearly as long as I’ve been alive. Imagine my shock when they switched formats to Spanish music. When they did this it left 98 Rock as the only rock station in town. I rarely listen to 98 Rock because they sound as if they are stuck in a 1985 time warp. I swear it seems as though they are still using the same play lists from the 80’s. The only time I listen to that station is for the KML Morning Show. I like listening to that show in between Howard Stern because they don’t play any music and they are entertaining.

I also have to say despite everything I wrote about them I do like listening to WTMD. I like them because they play a different variety of alternative music than WHFS. WTMD tends to play a more acoustic, folk, alt-country blend of alternative music. It’s the type of music that an upscale soccer mom would listen to. My only gripe with WTMD is that they rarely rock out music wise.

Without WHFS I would never have heard Franz Ferdinand or The Killers. It was a month after hearing The Killers on WHFS that WTMD started playing them. I only hope that WTMD eventually adds Franz Ferdinand to there playlist. If they did this I wouldn’t feel like it was an alternative music source for soccer moms. I suppose hearing the Beastie Boys this morning is a step in the right direction. I’m not saying I want them to start playing Metallica just a little more guitar oriented non-corporate sounding music.


link | posted by gail at 8:15 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com