IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

This evening I dropped off my finished Sowebo poster at the Creative Alliance. The poster is a mixture of collage and an acrylic painting of a woman. I took two quick photos of it which you can see below.


, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

This is a quick picture I took of my poster. I did not have time to take additional pictures because my camera batteries were running low. You should also know that the surface of the painting is a little on the shiny side which accounts for some of the white or washed out areas you see.





I wanted the lines in the larger design of the poster to be kind of uneven to give it a sense of movement. I also used shiny reflective red 3-D paper for part of my design. I used the 3-D paper because I liked the lively look of it. Again the shapes of the circles is meant to give the picture movement. When I was making this picture I was trying to create the feel of a sci-fi lollipop forest. In my sci-fi candy forest some of the lollipops fall off trees like giant deadly candy bolders. So in this poster there is both sweetness and impending danger.


, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

Here is a close up the face of the figure I painted. The face and figure were done in acrylic.




CLOSED DOOR......OPEN CRITIQUE?



My original intent for the evening was to drop off the poster and participate in the monthly Open Critique that the Creative Alliance holds. I even told the cheery man that let me in the building that I was going upstairs for the critique. When I walked upstairs I soon discovered that the door was closed to the room that the critiques were held in last month. This made me wonder if the monthly critiques were cancelled or perhaps I had missed it. Then I heard laughter behind the door. Obviously, the critique or something else was going on but I felt paralyzed with fear to open the door. Last month the door was open. Did a closed door mean that you could only enter by special invite only? Maybe I was wrong to have just dropped by unannounced last month? Maybe you are supposed to call first?

I felt utterly paralyzed with fear. Then I looked at the walls and noticed that there were a lot of neat paintings up. The paintings were for a silent auction. So I decided to look at them until I could figure out what to do next,......open the door or leave?

As I was looking at the paintings I saw a man who was downstairs milling about when I came. He was also looking at the silent auction. He had on a blue cap. Then next I saw the man who last month brought in this breathtakingly beautiful sculpture. He was walking up the stairs very fast. Then the man in the cap followed him. It was obvious to me that they were headed for the room with the closed door. I was not sure if it would have been OK for me to follow them. Maybe this month what was going on behind the closed the door was private. If they had wanted just any artist to come in from off the street the door would have been open like it was last time. Or maybe a sign would have been posted that read, Open Critique All Invited.

Now that I look at back at the situation, perhaps, it was best that the door was closed. Maybe there were all types of vice going on behind the closed door, gambling, prostitution, and God knows what. So I decided to head home. I guess I’ll give it another try next month. Just to be sure I’ll call ahead of time to see of its OK to drop by.


link | posted by gail at 8:03 PM |


1 Comments:

Blogger A COLLAGE A DAY commented at 11:45 PM~  

I think that its good to know other artist. If you work on something for a long period of time one can lose sight of it. Sometimes I will go a few day without looking at it and come back and see it with with new eyes.
I enjoy the background behind the figure. It seems 3-d. Very nice.

r.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com