IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Morning Commute:

This morning we didn’t have our usual chubby Grady from Sanford and Son looking shuttle bus driver. Instead we had a substitute driver. The fill in driver was horrible. He didn’t bother to stop at the Timonium Light Rail stop. He just sped on by it. He also missed several stops on McCormick Road. I was half afraid that he would miss my stop as well. Fortunately he did not miss my stop and I made it into work on time, albeit a bit shook up.

CONCERN OF THE DAY:That Well Meaning Nazi Like Group
Today, at work they were passing around a sign up sheet for my supervisor’s brother in law for an autism fund raiser at Towson. I didn’t sign up for a pledge because I felt that would be a bit ironic. You know an autistic person donating to help a controversial autism group, especially, Cure Autism Now. To me the name in itself, Cure Autism Now, has Nazi like overtones. What if the group were called Cure Blackness Now or Cure Jews Now, would you still feel it cool to donate and support the group.

The group in it’s name implies that it wants to wipe autistics like myself off the face of the planet. What do they think they will achieve with genetic testing if not the abortion/elimination of millions of autistics around the world.

Yes, I know that the group was founded by well meaning teary eyed parents. The type who I imagine look at their autistic child every day and say to any one who will listen, “I want my real child back!!”, as though the child they have in front of them is fake. I myself can not imagine the amount of psychological damage this type of parental mindset might have on an autistic child.

I’m not saying that I’m against helping autistic people like myself. It’s just the erroneous thought that the group has that a neurological disorder can be cured, especially one that is genetic in nature. The only way you can cure a genetic disorder is to eliminate it via genetic testing. How else do you think that the numbers for genetic disorders such as Down’s Syndrome have dramatically gone down through the years? Parents went in for genetic testing found out they were having a Down’s Syndrome baby and aborted it.

Also I object to their agenda that autism is something that needs to be cured, eg. eliminated. It’s Nazi like and does not consider the thoughts of adults on the autism spectrum. I’m sure that they feel that adult autistics do not exist are not viable citizens. After all to them and society at large autism is soley a childhood disorder.

The group seems to view all autistics as defective and in need of a cure. I suppose all those teary eyed parents over at Cure Autism Now have never once considered that there agenda if it were retro active, would lead to the elimination of such noted autistics as: Albert Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, Andy Warhol, Bill Gates, Andy Kauffman, Temple Grandin, and Steven Spielberg, among others.

As an autistic adult I do not want to be cured, I want to be accepted as is. Neurological diversity should be celebrated not eliminated!!!

Below I found a couple of pertinent links, many of these were written by fellow adults on the autism spectrum:




Autism Myths

Autism Rights Movement

Controversies in Autism

Aspies For Freedom

Petition Against Cure Autism Now

Essay Against Cure Autism Now


link | posted by gail at 11:11 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com