IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, October 02, 2005


, originally uploaded by willisgirl.



Today after church I went over to the movies. The movie I saw was the much anticipated, Serenity.

First off I have to admit that I never watched the short lived Firefly TV series of which the movie is based upon. At the time I was heavily vested in watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the series. All three of these shows have one thing in common and that is that they were created by, Joss Whedon. I was afraid at the time that if I watched another one of his shows I would became either Whedon overloaded or Whedon addicted. In retrospect either one of these prospects would not have been so bad because Whedon is a brilliant writer. In my scourings across the web for additional information about him I ran into either a blog written by the great man or devoted to his work. It is kind of hard to tell from which perspective it is written.



QUICK SERENITY REVIEW



I know everyone reading this will be absolutely shocked to read that I, a near loyal devotee to the evil genius of Joss Whedon, loved the movie. However, I have to admit that coming in fresh from off the street with no prior knowledge of the characters or their relationship to each other it did me a while to figure out what was going on. When I figured out who was who it was smooth sailing.

I will not give a synopsis because if you have seen the commercial you have a pretty good idea what it is about. However, I will say that two characters who were a part of the regular series die in the movie. One of the people that die is in the photo below.




, originally uploaded by willisgirl.



By the way Whedon is famous for killing off major characters. I think he does it to give the JossVerse a feeling of real danger and uncertainty. Then again since Whedon wrote it there’s a 50-50 chance that the dead characters might come back.

Also I have to say it was nice to once again hear the crisp, snappy, dialogue of a Whedon penned script. I like that he never talks down to his audience. There is usually a sense that you are in on the joke.

The cast in the movie did a really good job. Nathan Fillion was great as a much better scripted Han Solo like character, Mal. I have to say that seeing him on screen coupled with yesterday seeing Stephen Markle on stage as King Lear gave me a feeling of it being old cast members of One Life To Live Weekend. Fillion used to play Joey Buchanan on One Life To Live. I believe he was on the show the same time as Markle. Anyway, Fillion was great as Mal.

Also in the cast was Jewel Staite as the effervescent young ship engineer, Kaylee. While watching the movie I thought she was Asian. After doing a web search on her name I am surprised to find out that she is Native American. Somehow it had never crossed my mind that Native Americans share the same facial characteristics as Asians.

Also in the cast is veteran actor and non Baldwin brother, Adam Baldwin as Jayne, the tough guy with the girly name. One of my favourite comedies as a kid was My Bodyguard. I liked it mainly because I was picked on a lot as a kid and found it easy to identify with the protagonist in the movie. By the way Baldwin played reluctant bodyguard, Ricky Linderman in that 1980 flick. This makes me wonder what ever happened to the cute young star of My Bodyguard Chris Makepeace? When I was 10 I thought he looked absolutely dreamy. Oh, well... Back to Serenity.

In addition to veteran actor Adam Baldwin in the movie is veteran actor Ron Glass as Shepperd Book. Glass is most well known for playing the dapperly dressed Detective Harris in the 70’s police sitcom, Barney Miller.

You know I could sit here all night and list cast member after cast member but I’m getting sleepy. My final verdict is that if you like Sci-Fi and or the world of Joss Whedon see this movie.

Ohh! Ohh! Before I forget Chiwetel Ejioforis absolutely coldly menacing as the Operative. If you have seen the commercials he is the the big bad black guy you see. This is it I swear.


link | posted by gail at 12:19 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com