IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The bus and light rail train were both on time today. However, I felt a little frightened getting on the train this morning. There was this foreign looking man who was wearing a green flap jacket. Instead of taking a seat he stood up and grasped both hand bars and sort of glared menacingly at everyone on the train. I was afraid that he was going to go postal at any minute. I hate when people stand up on the bus or train when there are plenty of seats available.

Yesterday, I dropped of my painting for Artscape. I got there at around 2:30pm. It took me a while to find the Bunting Center where the Pinkard Gallery is located. I first asked this group of girls standing near the school store if they knew where it was. They vaguely knew. I assume that they were high school students taking classes there over the summer. So obviously they had not completely acclimated to where everything was. I took the advice of one of them. She said it was straight up the street and that there was a courtyard near it.

Well, I walked straight up that street and saw nothing with a courtyard in front of it. The only thing that vaguely matched that description was the Fox building and the new building, The Brown Center. I felt that my best bet would be to walk over to the Fox building and ask for directions maybe the student was confused. It was possible that the building could have been down the street. Just as I crossed the street. I saw a building almost hidden from street view labeled The Bunting Center! I found it! The Bunting Building lies catty corner to the Fox Building. I’ve been in the Fox building many of times. I’m kind of familiar with it’s layout. I had never really noticed the Bunting Building before.

When I got within it’s doors I felt as though I had entered a long abandoned section of the library. When I walked through the doors to the behind a glass wall to the left of me where these shelves that contained magazines in plastic covers. There weren’t many of them. The shelves where half full. Then I looked straight ahead and saw paintings stacked against the wall. I wasn’t quiet sure if I should just put my painting down among them. So I walked further on. I came upon a desk where a security guard sat. I asked her where I would take my art for Artscape. She pointed up ahead where I had just come from said I had to take it into the room.

So I walked back to where I was and noticed that there was in fact a small room off the side. I walked in there and saw that there were even more paintings inside there. Then a man came in the room and asked if I had come to drop off work for Artscape. I told him yes then he handed me this small form to fill out. I filled it out. He signed it and handed it back to me. Then he checked off my painting in this large book he had. This was very odd. I’m not a very experienced at exhibiting at gallery’s. However, the majority of the ones I’ve done you fill out two copies. One copy stays with the painting for identity purposes then they hand you the other. I wonder if my work will be properly identified. If at all...

While in the small room with the man I heard someone talking to a woman who was looking at all the paintings gathered on the floor. She asked if they were picking out the ones that they were going to use. I heard the man say, yes. So now I’m worried if Dana doll will even be shown at Artscape. If not that’s OK at least I tried.

There were a lot of paintings that were simply breathe taking. I was taken in particular with this very inventive painting. It was part painting and part sculpture. It was of a blonde haired woman. The part of it that was sculpture-esq was the nose on the woman. The nose was three dimensional and stuck out from the painting. I wonder if the artist used clay to achieve that effect, Anyway, I’m sure they will be using that painting. It was different.

I feel my work is OK. I’m not a professional portrait artist. I just like to create things to see if I can. I have no big artistic agenda. If you like it that’s good if not at least you looked.

It wasn’t until I left that I noticed that Gary Kachadourian was there looking at all the art work. He must have been the person the woman was talking to. Thankfully, Gary doesn’t know me from a hole in the ground.

Also yesterday I checked my phone messages. This is usually a fruitless endeavor. I rarely get phone calls. But this time I had a genuine phone message. It turns out that Marc Braun had called on Sunday. He said he got the e-mail I sent him. He said I could just get back in contact with him as to when I wanted to pick up the money. He also told me that the person who bought the painting would be out of town until mid-July. Wow, I can’t imagine being out of town for so long. Also Marc when he left his message didn’t sound angry or anything like that. I think I’ll call him up on my lunch break or after work.



link | posted by gail at 9:30 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com