IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Today, is the start of my quest to see all the movies that are likely to be nominated for Oscars. The movies that seem to be getting the most Oscar buzz include: The Aviator, Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, Hotel Rwanda, Closer, Finding Neverland, Kinsey, and a Very Long Engagement.

The reason I like to do this is so that I can have a clear idea of who to root for when I watch the Oscars later this year. I admit this year I did the majority of my movie viewing at home with Netflix. The only movies I recall seeing this year were Troy, Spiderman 2, and Fahrenheit 9-11. These three movies I know are unlikely to have multiple nominations in categories other than special effects, costume design, and documentary.

I started my quest today at The Charles Theater where I saw the 2pm showing of Sideways. The movie was more of a dramadey than an out and out comedy. Overall, it was an above average movie.

As far as the plot line goes, in short, I would describe it as a modern day Odd Couple. Where Felix and Oscar decide to visit California's wine country for a week. They go there to celebrate Oscar's impending marriage. Wine just so happens to be a subject that is near and dear to Felix's heart. While there Oscar is bored and decides that it would be great if they just picked up chicks and got laid. This idea of course horrifies Felix that Oscar could be so callous, so close to his wedding day.

Okay, ok. I admit that the two main characters in the movie were not named Felix and Oscar but Miles (Paul Giamatti) and Jack (Thomas Haden Church). They both gave great performances. Their portrayals of the two characters struck me as real. I'm not sure if they struck me as real because they were not young pretty boys or that they were doing an outstanding job. I later decided that the reason the characters struck me as being real was not because of their every day people looks, but there talent. Overall, I didn't feel like I wasted two hours of my life watching the film.

However, I don't see why Thomas Haden Church got nominated for a Golden Globe. While watching this movie I wasn't going, Wow! This is award winning stuff! I guess to me whenever I see him I think of that goofy mechanic character he used to play on Wings. His role in the movie didn't seem like that much of a stretch. The only difference I could see is that this character was just a tad bit on the amoral side, yet still loveable.

I guess he picked up the nomination for that big crying scene he did towards the end of the movie when he asked his friend Miles to help him out on something. In that scene he went from being a guileless asshole to being a deeply pathetic and scared man.

Two other great performances in the movie were Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh as the two waitresses the guys pick up. Of the two female performers my favorite was Sandra Oh. I loved the spunky, vivacious, spark she gave to her character. If Sandra Oh gets nominated for best supporting actress for this role I will not be going, Huh?

WHAT I'M WEARING: Right now I have on a dark blue sweater, black pants, and purple fuzzy slippers I got Christmas.


link | posted by gail at 7:08 PM |


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 10:04 AM~  

Hey,

I am really impressed by your blog. Have you really had 3,000,000 + hits thats really impressive. If you get a chance visit one of us newbies at.

bernietop17.blogspot.com

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com