IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Thursday, April 14, 2005

MORNING COMMUTE:
This morning I got on the #1 bus. It was being driven by a man who wore glasses. The light rail was on time as was the corresponding shuttle bus.

CONCERN OF THE DAY: The Blue Bracelet
My yearly review went better than expected. I got very high marks and a raise. The one thing ratings wise that stood out was that I got a 5 for job performance. Brian said it was the highest he had ever given to anyone in the group. He told me that he and Mellissa couldn’t recall when I last had work sent back to me. This all sounded pretty good to me. However, I still felt uncomfortable and more than a little freaked out during the review. In fact I felt so freaked out that I did not sit at the long table where he sat, but instead sat on one of the chairs that lined the wall as I clutched on to another chair.

The reason for my discomfort was because of something I noticed he was wearing. He was wearing a blue Cure Autism Now bracelet.

I’m sure he was wearing it in solidarity for his brother in law’s daughter who’s autistic. I recall him telling us about it a couple of years ago when her parents were doing fundraising for a bicycle race or something or other.

Seeing the bracelet prominently on display during the review made me wonder if he knew that I’m autistic. This was a silly thought because I’ve never told anyone at work about my disorder. I don’t feel it’s necessary. They are probably well aware of the fact that I’m a very odd duck. Why compound the issue by giving them a name for the condition I have? Besides the majority of people out there think that autism is a psychiatric disorder and are not aware of the fact that it is a genetic neurological disorder. From what I’ve read on various message boards adults with mild autism who have come out at work about their disorder are often times ostracized and quickly downsized out of a job.

In retrospect I’m sure he was wearing the bracelet because it might have been Autism Awareness Month or Week. I’m not quiet sure which or when those events take place. I don’t keep up on that type of thing.

In all likelihood I’m sure he wasn’t purposely wearing it because he was giving a yearly review to an autistic worker.

However, despite my reasoning, I have to say, that was the most uncomfortable review I ever sat through. Throughout the review I kept wondering does he or does he not know...

WHAT I’M WEARING:
This morning I have on a green plaid shirt along with green slacks and brown leather lace up shoes.

ART UPDATE:
I’ve been working very hard on my art work for potential display in the upcoming months. I’m also working on a design for the SOWEBO poster. It has be to be turned in on the 26th or 27th.

I think I may do a retread of the picture that’s up on the main page of my website. I like the colour scheme idea of black, powder blue, and pink. Then again I may just change my mind all together and do something entirely different...


link | posted by gail at 9:22 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com