IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Today, I thought it would be fun to post my favourite movies of 2005. I am limiting the list to movies I actually saw that were released in the United States in 2005. Thus, movies that appear on a lot of big time movie critics lists like Crash and History of Violence are not listed because I never saw them. Tomorrow, if Im feeling up to it I will post my worse movies of 2005.




, originally uploaded by willisgirl.



For starters I have to say that my favourite performer of 2005 is Terrence Howard. He was in two of the movies that I loved in 2005. In my opinion Terrence Howard has replaced Denzel Washington as the sexiest man in Hollywood. Lets face is Denzel is getting old and fat.

And without further adieau here is my Favourite movies of 2005




GAILs FAVOURITE MOVIES OF 2005




1. Hustle and Flow....This movie in my opinion is the best movie ever made about rap music. The movie stars Terrence Howard as a broke ass pimp who wants to turn his life around to follow his long held dream of becoming a rapper. In my opinion Terrence Howard deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. If you have not seen this movie yet see it now!



2. Four Brothers...I loved this movie about four adopted brothers who set out to avenge the death of their mother. Also I loved the sense of family that that you felt between the four adopted brothers of different races. Terrence Howard, also apppears in this movie. Unfortunately, he gets killed.



3. Lord of War... This movie that came out during early fall starred Nicholas Cage as an arms dealer. The movie had a very powerful message coupled with an offbeat sense of humour.

.

4. 40 Year Old Virgin...I found it be a very funny and heart warming picture. After all how could I not like a picture where the lead characters apartment looks a lot like my own.



5. Wedding Crashers...This is yet another movie that I found to be fun. Its about two womanizers who like to crash weddings to get laid. I also like this movie because it stars one of my favourite comedic actors, Owen Wilson.



6. Brokeback Mountain...I loved this sweet love story between two hunky ranchers.



7. Walk The Line...I am not a fan of country music but I like Johnny Cash. I felt that Joaquin Phoenix did a great job portraying the man in black, Johnny Cash. Phoenix even did his own singing. Since I know little about country music to my ears he sounded just like Johnny Cash. Also Reese Witherspoon was brilliant in the movie as Cashs future wife, June Carter. Watching this movie after a year ago seeing Ray kind of made me wonder if EVERYONE WAS ON DRUGS DURING THE 60s. I mean is there a possibility that there might be a Mr. Rogers movie where he battles a secret heroin addiction? I will not even get into Captain Kangaroo or Scooby Doo because I feel that they are so obvious. Scooby Snacks anyone?



8. Capote...I found this to be an outstanding movie about Truman Capote and the steps he went through to write his masterpiece, In Cold Blood. Philip Seymour Hoffman was nothing short of brilliant in the lead role. He is an absolute shoe in for getting an Oscar nomination for Best Actor.



9. Cinderella Man...This was a great boxing movie about one was about Great Depression era boxer Jim Braddock. I know nothing about boxing but I enjoyed this movie.

10. Ladies in Lavender....According to the IMDB this movie was released in 2004 but it did not reach the States until 2005. This is a very sweet small budget English movie about two elderly sisters who ‘adopt’ a young foreigner who washed ashore on their beach.



Honorable Mention:
Syriana, I found this movie to be good. However, the plotline never connects the various storylines. I know that this disjointed feeling was a deliberate part of the movie. It was showing that no one is really aware of what is going on in the Middle East not even the people who are in the thick of things. I know this because the director and writer of the movie said this many times while being interviewed on NPR about the movie.

The one thing I can say about this movie is that George Clooney deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting actor for this movie. His performance was phenomenal. Even though he gained several pounds for his role in the film you could not take your eyes off him.


link | posted by gail at 10:37 PM |


1 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay commented at 7:18 PM~  

I agree about Four Brothers. I was expecting yet another shoot 'em up, but it was a shoot 'em up with heart. I think it could've done with a longer cut -- I noticed some times where it seemed like chunks of the film were cut out, and I think those chunks might've made some of the mystery-plot points a bit better.

Gotta disagree with "Lord of War" -- very dissapointed. Visually exciting, but a failure pretty much everywhere else.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com