IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Wednesday, March 29, 2006


This evening I went over to the Creative Alliance to one of their monthly open art critique sessions.

When I came in a woman had two pieces up that she was working on. The pieces were very inventive and thought provoking.

After she had shown her work a man came up and put his pieces on the table. He was a poet and a photographer. He made a wonderful handmade book that contained his poetry and photos. He was very talented.

Next a woman came up that did felting. I wanted to ask her what felting was but I became afraid that I would start to stutter or that she would become cross with me. Everyone else seemed to know what felting was so I said nothing. To me felting appears to be some kind of a yarn work. The pieces she had up were very abstract and colourful.

Next an artist named George came up. I remember him from the Art Critique at last years members show. He is a senior citizen and his work has a strong linear feel to it. Seeing George gives me inspiration to continue on with my art. I hope to still be doing art when I am his age.

The last person to show his work was the bald man who I last saw a couple of years ago when the man with the funny foreign name that runs Artscape came to the Creative Alliance to give a talk about Artscape. This evening the bald guy brought in this absolutely breath takingly beautiful glass sculpture that he made.

Also there was a woman who suddenly became sick a little after I came in. I wonder if she left because she was suddenly ill like she said or if she left because of me. I have never seen her before so I do not think she would have anything against me personally.

One thing I noticed is that every artist that came up to show there work had a spiel or a story to tell as they were showing their work. I brought pieces with me to show but became afraid that I would begin to stutter or faint if I went up there to show them.

I am proud to report that I made it home in time to see who got kicked off of American Idol. So all in all it was not a bad night. I might just do it again next month. However, I will have to think of a story to tell as I show my work. I have about a month to rehearse and rewrite it. Hmmm, art critique as possible performance art......


link | posted by gail at 11:03 PM |


1 Comments:

Blogger The Malcontent commented at 8:40 AM~  

Hey, Gail!

Though you have probably wiki'ed it by now, feltmaking is just what you think--using yarns to make a felt fabric (via pressure, and chemicals, and needles--there are a variety of techniques).

Next time, don't be shy to ask. (How else would we learn?) The artists I have met at Creative Alliance events are always more than willing to share and explain. I know Asperger's makes those kind of social interactions stressful, but you can do it! (We Baltimoreans have to stick together.)

Peace,
The Mal

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com