IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, October 22, 2006

This morning I tried to walk over to Church. However, I started off too late. I would have been 40 minutes late. So instead of walking in at 11:40 I decided to walk over to the Walters Art Museum. The art gallery is just about a block or so from my Church.



The Walters had a big exhibition onGustave Courbet and the modern landscape. I am not into landscapes. Despite this I thought that perhaps seeing it would inspire me to paint more. Over all the one thing that I noticed about the exhibit was that Courbet had the tendency to paint the same picture over again. I wonder if other visitors to the exhibit noticed that some of the painting were duplicates of the same area painted from a different point of view.

Since I am not into landscapes I did not feel overly motivated to start painting them. However, I do now feel that it is ok to revisit old subject matters like Courbet did.

As for the other 2nd or was it the 3rd floor or maybe even the 2nd and 3rd floor of the Walters I have to say that I felt very uncomfortable. It seemed as though it was filled with a zillion paintings of Jesus, Mary, or the Passion. I suppose if you were Catholic or something like that you would have loved that floor. But I just got a headache. It was like, "Oh Christ, look another Jesus painting!"

I felt more cheered up when I made it over to the museum's Hacker House. The Hacker House features Asian Art, thus not a single crucified Jesus or Jesus and Mary in sight. Yippee!

I suppose another reason I felt comfortable in that section is that I do a lot of yoga and have a passing interest in Indian mythology. So it was comforting to see images of Buddah, Shiva, Ganesha, and Parvati. Seeing images of them did not bum me out in the least.

Then before I knew it it was near closing time for the museum. I could not believe it I was there since 11:40 am! By the way the museum closes at 5pm.

The last floor I visited was the 4th floor. I made it there around 4:45. The 4th floor contained 19th century art.

So as you can imagine I was rushing to see everything on that floor before the museum closed. I was surprised while on that floor to see some art by Pre-Raphaelite artists. The Pre-Raphaelite movement is my all time favourite. The movement occured during the Victorian era. The one Pre-Raphaelite artist that I was surprised to find at The Walters was Sir Lawrence Alma Tadema. I have a big ass book featuring his paintings. The man was a genius. I never knew that there was a genuine Alma-Tadema in Baltimore. I suppose I will have to make another trip to The Walters to visit the Alma Tadema paintings to see if I can gain insight into how he painted. It was difficult to really study anything because the museum was about to close.

WHAT I'M WEARING:
Today, I have on my red hoodie, a pink turtleneck, green pants, and black canvas tennis shoes.

WALKING LOG

STEPS....11211
MILES....2.47
CALORIES BURNED....407


link | posted by gail at 9:37 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com