IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Monday, June 04, 2001

Saturday June 2, 2001

A woman came up to me and said/”I’d like to poison your mind/with wrong ideas that appeal to you/though I am not unkind”

Whistling in the Dark - John Flansburgh & John Linnell (They Might Be Giants)

I got out of bed today and simply started painting. I wanted to catch up on the time I missed this week due to working overtime at my day job. Also, I was trying to finish up two 11x14 paintings I wanted to put up for sale for the ebsq, In the Style of.... art show which opens up at 6pm west coast time. This would mean that I would have have everything completed scanned and online by 9pm, my time. The two paintings Patrick Nagel copies that I plan on contributing I have dubbed Patrick’s #1 Lady and Patrick’s Lady 2.All the paintings I planned on putting up for sale were completed by 7pm that night. I quickly scanned the smaller 9x12 pieces that were not related to show.

Since I figured I had plenty of time and it is a big pain to scan large paintings in little sections then cut and paste them together in Photoshop. I decided instead to photograph the two Nagel copies with a digital camera I got for Christmas. You see I’m the type of person when I get something high tech I like to immediatly try it out without reading the instructions. After doing this I get frustrated and put it away six months later. This is exactly the same process that I took with the scanner I got two years. I figured my 6 month exile from touching the new toy was over. I got out the instruction manual and learned how the camera worked.

At this point I should point out that I’m not a photographer and have never owned a digital camera in my life. By his time it’s around 7:45. I figure I still have plenty of time to shoot the pictures and have them up by 9:00. Besides, how long could it possibly take to photograph paintings? You just aim and click. Boy was I wrong!! It seemed like every picture I took was not up to par. I had to constantly go back and adjust the camera and lighting until everything was just right. I think I took about 200 pictures to try to get my technique down. In the end the pictures were not showing as much detail as I could get with the scanner. The best thing I could think to do was to give in and just do the old cut and paste with my scanner. I did’nt completey finish until after midnight sometime when I listed everything up on eBay. In the future I do plan to use my camera but only for really, really large pieces.


link | posted by gail at 11:23 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com