IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Wednesday, October 01, 2003




Since Friday the 26th of September my heart has been filled with glee. That’s when I first heard that the BBC had had a change of heart and will be making new episodes of DOCTOR WHO in 2005. The show had been in cancellation since 1989. So you see this proves that geeks can in fact make a difference. Why all the interest you ask? Well, DOCTOR WHO happens to be my all time favorite British sci-fi television show.

In case you’re not aware, DOCTOR WHO is the longest running science fiction series in television history. It began in 1963 as the result of a commission from Sydney Newman--then the BBC Head of Drama--to create a series to primarily appeal to children and young adults and teach them about history and science.


As the series unfolded, viewers learned about the title character, known as the Doctor, a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, who traveled in a time machine called the TARDIS which was bigger on the inside than the outside. The role was played by veteran actor William Hartnell from 1963-1966. When Hartnell left the series, it was revealed the Doctor could physically change his form, allowing the Doctor to be portrayed subsequently by William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, and Paul McGann.


The series’ appeal has been a versatile format that explored horror, science fiction, humor, action and historical adventure. The series relied on a uniquely British wit and clever scripting that made up for its occasional deficiencies in production values. The Series’ hero, monsters, villains and even its theme song are icons in British culture as a result, and loved in over 100 countries around the world.


The series went off the UK airwaves in 1989. A TV movie with Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor was aired in 1996 but did not go to series. Thanks to the short sightedness of execs at FOX TV.... I am still upset that North American viewers will never have the opportunity to purchase the FOX TV movie, unofficially titled, The Enemy Within due to some bizarre contractual deal. But alas, the Doctor’s adventures continues in novels, on radio, in comics, specially-made audio adventures and Internet radio dramas. Hey, if anyone out there happens to have a copy of the tv movie please e-mail me at willisgirl@earthlink.net.

Just last night in desperation for more Who I purchased my first Big Finish audio that features the 8th Doctor. The one I bought is called Storm Warning. This was the first audio that McGann did for Big Finish back in 2001. I’m going to try and purchase all of McGann’s Big Finish audio’s. As I see it I have two years to buy all the books and audio’s of the 8th Doctor before the series begins.


As far as the new series goes I would really love for Paul McGann to return to his role as the 8th Doctor. He showed so much promise in the TV movie. It should be noted that the FOX TV movie is considered controversial among some Whovians (fans of DOCTOR WHO) because it was revealed in the movie that the Doctor was half human and the usually chaste, asexual Who, kissed Grace, his female companion in the film.

Me? I had no problem what so ever with the plot developments. The half human thing explains why he keeps coming back to Earth to save it time and again. I think that some fans have a problem with this concept because it sounds Star Trekish. As you know the very logical Vulcan Doctor Spock is half human. I hope that they keep the half human concept as part of the show’s canon. The kiss? Gosh, it’s about time he kissed someone romantically! Paul McGann is hot! Heck, I wanted to kiss him!





General Impressions of the WHO'S

William Hartnell...never watched it. I’m a spoiled Gen-Xer, if it’s not in colour what’s the point?


Patrick Troughton....see above comments

John Pertwee....James Bond like DOCTOR WHO

Tom Baker.....The Definitive DOCTOR WHO

Peter Davison...The Young Cute DOCTOR WHO

Colin Baker....Clown-like DOCTOR WHO

Sylvester McCoy....Dark Mysterious DOCTOR WHO

Paul McGann...Romantic, Poetic DOCTOR WHO



link | posted by gail at 11:59 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com