IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Yesterday, after I got back from the supermarket that was being invaded by life size advertising mascots I went out and saw the Saturday matinee production of Two Gentlemen of Verona at Center Stage.

When I got to the theatre I was surprised to find that the production was being held upstairs in the Head Theatre. The Head Theatre is pretty much general admission meaning there is no assigned seating. You can sit pretty much were you felt like sitting. I was surprised to find when I made it upstairs that for the the first time ever in the Head Theater, they now have reserved assigned seating. I was also surprised to find that I was again seated next to the tiny elderly woman with the jheri curl and the oxygen tank. This is the same woman that I sit next to downstairs in the Pearlstone Theatre.

I also noticed that the elderly black woman who usually sits in front of us was sitting in the front row. I could easily pick her out because she always wears a gold metallic baseball hat. Hmmm, I wonder how come she’s sitting in the front row and were not seated in the second row like we are downstairs but instead about 4 rows back. Also the lady with the oxygen tank and myself are not seated near the aisle like we usually are. If there’s anyone that need an aisle seat it’s the lady with the oxygen take. Hopefully, this new seating arraignment is not set in stone and changes can be made.

TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA
First off it wasn’t a play but a musical based on a work by William Shakespeare. The musical originally debuted in the early 70’s. So it has a hippie flower child vibe to it. The show was originally produced in the 1971 by the legendary Joseph Papp in conjunction with The New York Shakespeare Festival. The play was adapted by >John Guare and Mel Shapiro. Shapiro also served as director of the original production.

The libretto to the musical was also written by Guare. Guare would in subsequent years go on to write, The House of Blue Leaves, Six Degrees of Separation, and the screenplay to Atlantic City. The composer of the play was Galt McDermott. McDermott is noted for being the composer of the Broadway musical Hair.

Overall, I really enjoyed seeing this production of the musical. It is very hard to describe the plot of the musical. So thought it would better if I just included a link to the script.

The production had a 60’s filtered through the 80's look. The women in the first act looked like 80’s Jem dolls come to life. While the men were costumed like escapees from a gay country and western bar. In the second act the background was an 80’s Keith Haring-like painting. The only character who didn't seem to fit in costume wise was Proteus. I don't understand why his this character was dressed head to toe in black like Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The show I saw had two African American female leads. However, according to the program guide another woman (white female) was supposed to be playing Julia. I’m not sure if this was a typo or something happened to the original Julia. The only thing I know for sure is that I could not figure out Proteus’ motivation. At first he’s so in love with Julia then he has to go to Milan and falls out of the blue in love with Silvia after his pal Valentine falls for her. I just don’t get it. If what I've just writen didn't make one iota of sense to you then I would advise that you quickly go over the script. It's not that long I swear. Scripts to musicals are widely known to be quick reads.

The stand out performers in the production were, Angela Robinson who played Silvia and Rodney Hicks who played Valentine. They both had lots of energy and could to put it bluntly, sing their asses off. After they got finished singing I almost felt like getting up out my seat and applauding and saying, while throwing my fist in the air, “You Go Girl!”, “You Go Boy!” I guess I should say right here that Hicks was in the original Broadway production of RENT. So he is already building somewhat of a track record.

Toni Trucks who played Julia in my opinion is the most perfect looking human I’ve ever seen on stage. The celebrity she most resembles is former ER cast member Michael Michele. For a while I thought I was seeing Michael Michele. Then I noticed that her Julia had a very southern accent and well to the best of my knowledge Michael Michele isn’t from the south. Despite her breathtaking beauty she doesn’t have a very strong singing voice. In comparison to Angela Robinson’s vocal range she sounds like Minnie Mouse. Then again I’m sure that Beyonce would sound like Minnie Mouse next to Robinson’s voice. The same could be said of Ivan Hernandez who played Proteus. The combined talents of Rodney Hicks and Angela Robinson just blows everyone out of the water.

Another standout performer in the production was Kingsley Leggs who played Silvia’s father, the Duke of Milan. He was simply stellar in this role. Also appearing in the production is longtime Center Stage comedic favorite Robert Dorfman in the role of Launce. He gave a broad comedic signature Dorfman performance. Another Center Stage returning actor was Andy Patterson. He was back on Calvert Street in the role of Speed. Speed was another character along with Proteus that I just didn’t get.

Overall, I would definitely recommend that you see this production and bask in the vocal talents of Angela Robinson and Rodney Hicks and to see the prettiest person to ever appear on Center Stage, Toni Trucks.

WHAT I’M WEARING:
Right now I have on a lavender night gown with my big fuzzy purple slippers.


link | posted by gail at 1:28 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com