IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Yesterday, I went to the BSO pops concert. The show featured Doo-Wop music. In addition to seeing the concert I was curious to find out who the old guy that I usually sit next to was going out with. It seems as though every time I see a show he’s with a different woman. It now appears that he’s settled on one. This is the second time that he’s taken her to a concert. I wonder if I’ll see them again at the next show or if he’ll be taking out another woman? I swear this guy is like a major geriatric playa.

The concert overall was ok. I was entertained. The only weak spot I saw was the group of 20somethings who had the audacity to call themselves, The Marvelletes. True, the majority of the groups were filled with non original members. But for some reason the fake Marvelletes made me see red. I think it was around the time just before they went into a song and said, “Do any of you remember 1962?” My only thought was that none of them were even born in 1962! They were obvious fakes!

The first act of the evening was The Coaster. They were pretty good. None of the performers on stage as The Coasters looked old enough to be the original members. They did a good job of not reminding me that they were fakes. No one on stage shouted out, “Hey, remember 1959?” The 40something lead singer of The Coasters also served as the emcee of the evening. He did a very good job of keeping things light and upbeat.

The second act of the evening were the fake version ofThe Marvelettes. I believe I’ve already made my feelings clear about those three hacks. They all wore red sequined dresses and none of their shoes matched. Yes, I admit I hated them for being so young. They could have at least hired people in their forties. I feel if someone is in there forties then at least you could have the illusion of the possibility that they might have gotten a face lift and are actually in their 60’s or even 70’s. Those women weren’t woman they were girls. They were probably all born in the 80’s.

The third act of the evening were The Orioles . The Orioles were the only act where I can say that almost all the original members were present. Every last one of them had grey hair, except one. It brought a tear to my eye to see them perform. The Orioles have been together since the late 40’s. I wonder if The Rolling Stones will all be performing together for their 50th Anniversary like The Orioles?

The final act of the night was The Drifters. The Drifters did a very good job. Like the majority of acts that performed tonight they did some of the songs of other groups and singers to stretch out time. A glaring song they did that was not their own was Stand By Me (Ben E. King).

At the end of the show all the groups except the Orioles got on stage and sang a song called Stand Up America. According to the lead singer of the Coasters all the groups got together and recorded it along with The Platters in response to 9-11.

After seeing an evening of faux groups it makes me wonder, what is to prevent someone after I die from going around claiming to be me? I wonder if I can officially sanction someone to pretend to be me after I’m dead?


link | posted by gail at 12:10 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com