IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Monday, May 27, 2002

May 26, 2002


With cat-like tread, in silence dread,

With cat-like tread, Upon our prey we steal

In silence dread Our cautious way we feel!

No sound at all, We never speak a word;

A fly’s footfall Would be distinctly heard!

Come, friends, who plough the sea,

Truce to navigation, Take another station;

Let’s vary piracee With a little burglaree!

With cat-like tread Upon our prey we steal;

In silence dread Our cautious way we feel.


With cat-like tread - William S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan (from the operetta The Pirates of Penzance, or The Slave of Duty)





Today, I finally figured out how to do thumbnails with my software. Now I can finally put my artwork up on my site!



I didn't do much today but watch videos. This is something that I recently started doing because I purchased a vcr a couple of months ago. I got a vcr so that I could watch exercise video’s. The reason why I’m watching and doing exercise videos is because I joined Weight Watchers in January 2002 and they want you to keep active. Yes, I know that dvd’s are all the rage but I need something that was cheap and you can tape things with.



Right now I’m trying to catch up on all the movies that I haven't seen from 1990 to 1994. The reason why I saw next to no movies during this time period was that I was studying very hard and doing my clinical rotations at the University of Maryland’s School of Medicine’s Department of Medical and Research Technology. When you’re in this type of school you cannot choose the time you want to take classes. If Medical Microbiology is listed at 8am for the sophomore class you have to take it at 8am with the rest of the class.



Anyway, I finally finished watching An Ideal Husband which I started watching yesterday. Th reason why I stopped and started watching it was that I got bored with it. It wasn't as funny as I hoped it would be. The pacing seemed a little long and labored. This is a shame because I’m a really big fan of Oscar Wilde’s work.



Last week I rented the film Wilde which starred Stephen Frye in the title role. I liked that picture a lot. Frye made for an excellent Wilde. He looks exactly like the pictures I’ve seen of Wilde. To be honest I had no idea that Wilde was once married with children. I always pictured him as being this flamboyantly terminally single gay bon vivant. Hmmmmm, now that I think of it he was a flamboyant bon vivant in the film.



I also saw Topsy Turvey last week. I really enjoyed that film a lot. I’m a big fan of Gilbert and Sullivan productions. I always wondered about the men behind the music. From the movie it appears that Gilbert was this big boisterous know it all who was impotent and Sullivan was this thin single guy who preferred the company of prostitutes. Watching the movie was like taking a trip back in time. The movie opens up in the summertime and it’s really hot. All the people in the movie were complaining about the heat and covered from head to foot in heavy Victorian clothing. This I feel would have been true to the era. Victorians were not known for showing skin even if it would have made them more comfortable.



Hmmmm, come to think of it I’ve been watching a lot of movies that feature the Victorian era. I suppose in a way this all fits in with my preoccupation with the Pre-Raphaelite art movement. I guess I’m a Victorian at heart, albeit a more comfortably clothed one.


link | posted by gail at 11:16 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com