IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Monday, February 23, 2004

Friday, February 20, 2004


The above picture is of the completed rainbow Afghan I was working on last year around this time. I remember starting it on a Sunday evening as I was watching Matthew Broderick in the Music Man.



It appears that Mel Karmazin the head of Infinity Broadcasting has issued out a new set of regulations for his on air staff. In case you don’t know New York based Infinity Radio is a major player in Baltimore radio as well as the country. In Baltimore they own WHFS, WLIF, WQSR, WMMX, WXYV, and two AM gospel stations, WBGR and WBMD . They also are the company responsible for bringing to the airwaves the Howard Stern Show. Basically, Infinity radio is owned by Viacom which owns CBS. CBS is still feeling the heat from the Janet Jackson, er, wardrobe malfunction.... So Mel has issued out a zero tolerance warning to his employees that if they say anything “arguably indecent” on air that could in anyway be construed as being offensive then they the disc jockey as well as the general manager and the program director would be fired no questions asked. Yikes!! I’d hate to work there. I bet everyone is running around there like nervous nellies.



I can’t wait for Monday to come to see what Howard Stern will say about the new regulations Mel has issued. Stern has been on vacation all this week. I wonder if we will be hearing a G-rated Howard Stern Show from now on?

Don and Mike from the Don and Mike Show are wigged out about the new regulations because they recently got back from a 2 week suspension without pay because the word “bull shit” accidentally got out on air. I know I’m not a part of the radio radio industry and do not for sure who handles the delay button but from my vantage point as a listener I feel this was unfair. I would find it hard to believe that on-air talent alone were responsible for the delay button. I imagine that would be a job you would give to your production team. Why wasn’t that person doing there job and why did Don and Mike take the fall?


So today Don and Mike were playing music instead of doing there usual on air schtick. They said they weren't going to say anything on air until they’ve met with the station lawyers on Monday to have it spelled in black and out what they can and can’t say on air according to Mel’s newest regulations. Let’s face it they are scared shitless since being suspended without pay for something that wasn’t all there fault. Also they know that Infinity is chomping at the bit to find dj’s to make an example of. Despite there being little talk on today, I really must say that Don Geronimo played a brilliant mix of pop tunes. This guy should be a program director!!! Oh, I forgot he used to be one!!! I guess I’ll have to wait until Monday to find out if the era of shock jock radio is dead forever more.



On the art front. I hope to have a painting ready to display for Maryland Art Place’s Annual Out of Order Benefit Auction. The auction will be held this year on Saturday April 24, 2004, 8pm till 1am. Here’s pictures of last years Out of Order 2003. If I decide to go after installing my work I think I’ll stay about a half an hour before I leave. I’ll definitely be doing something for the show. The question is how comfortable would I be staying for the auction.


I still haven’t decided if I'm going to have my portfolio reviewed for the upcoming Illustrators Conference in New York. Heck, I haven't even sent in my money yet. I suppose I’ll either send it in on my next paycheck or the one after that. Right now I have plenty of time as the conference isn’t until Monday, April 26, 2004 and the money is due by April 12, 2004.



Looks like I’ll be having a very busy April! :)


link | posted by gail at 8:19 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com