IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, August 01, 2004


danadoll1, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

The above is a picture of my Dana doll painting that was up in the Pinkard Gallery during Artscape. It has a little bit of a glare on it.


danadoll, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

It was based on a doll I own called, Dana. The doll was part of the Kenner, Darci World of Fashion, line of the early 80’s. Yes, I’ve owned the doll for that long. I even still have some Fisher Price toys I used to play with as a preschooler. Anyway, the doll is pictured above.


buntingcenter, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

Today, I had to pick up my work from the Pinkard Gallery in the Bunting Center of Maryland Institute College of Art. The above is a picture of the Bunting Center taken on the actual day I first dropped off my work.

To pick up my work I had to be there anywhere from 10:00am to 4:00pm. I wanted to get there early because I had a coupon from the Plaza art store that I wanted to use. It’s a coupon where you get 30% off of purchases. The coupon expires on August 9th. So, today was a perfect day to take advantage of it.

It was cloudy outside when I left out. By the time I got to the light rail station it was raining cats and dogs. When I got to the Bunting Center there was already a girl inside who I assume had picked up her work. She was talking to the guy inside. I believe it was the guy who was there when I originally dropped off my work. He was a standard issue generic art guy. You know dressed in black from head to toe with dark rimmed glasses.

I walked up to him not quiet sure what the procedure would be. All the paintings were still on the wall. I wasn’t sure if I should just take my painting down and leave or if he had to check something off first before I could take it. He told me I could just take my painting down. So I went over to my painting and took it down. A thought occured to me. I could have taken someone else’s painting instead of my own. It wasn’t like he was actually checking who I was. He never asked my name or anything.


treasure, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

I could have had a Barbara Treasure watercolour!! I really like the colour scheme she had going in her painting. Then again my tastes tend to go in the direction of blues and purples.


parlato, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

However, I don’t think I could have gotten away with the Stephen Parlato. He did this massive kick ass collage of Jesus that consisted of guns. I don't think he would of believed that I was Stephen Parlato. Then again he wasn't actually checking names.....

In the end I took my own painting. Damn, why do I have to be so honest. I could have had a Barbara Treasure or that kick ass Stephen Parlato collage.

When I got over to Plaza Arts it was around 11:15 and still raining outside but not as hard as it was earlier. I wasn’t quiet sure if the store was closed because the store looked dark from the outside. As I approached it I noticed a sign on the door that said it would be open at 11:00 on Sunday. I also noticed a sign on the door that said to check all bags at the door. I had my painting in a big yellow plastic bag. I went to check it at the counter. The woman at the counter looked bewildered. Then I told her that I was checking it at the door because of the sign I read on the door.

I then explored the art store. I wanted to stock up on paint. I rarely ever go to the art store when I’m out of paint. I rarely have to because I’m always stocking up. I buy paint about two to three times a year. I always buy around Christmas time. Usually from a catalog. I also get a lot of gift certificates from Plaza arts around Christmas time. This helps out a lot in replenishing my art supply.

When I was ready to buy my paint I noticed that despite wearing the generic art uniform of black the woman at the counter was anything but generic. She actually beamed when I handed her my Plaza arts coupon. Usually, there kind of expressionless and surly looking. She had short curly red hair and wore a black Plaza Arts shirts. I was so shocked by her friendliness that I forgot to pick up my bag that had my painting it. So after leaving the store I had to rush back in and get my painting.

When I finally got out of the store it wasn’t raining anymore. However, the bus was crowded. When I got down to Fayette Street there was still a lot of people from Otakon milling around with suitcases and things they bought. Maybe, next year I’ll actually make an effort to go. Then again maybe not......


link | posted by gail at 11:05 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com