IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Monday, February 21, 2005


thompson, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

From the way the weather guys were talking I was expecting snowy verion of armagedon when I woke up. All day yesterday there were non stop scrawls on the tv screen about the impending snowstorm. All there was on the ground when I woke up was water from the rain.

Hunter S. Thompson:

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone," he once said, "but they've always worked for me."


I was saddened to hear today that 67 year old writer,Hunter S. Thompson died this weekend. He died of a self inflicted gun shot wound to the head. It wasn’t a shock to his family. His suicide was planned well in advance. From all that I’ve read he gathered them together for one last weekend as a family. So they all knew that it would happen but not when. Apparently, he was suffering from immense pain from a broken leg and a hip replacement.

I can not begin to imagine the amount of physical pain he must have been going through to drive him to take his own life. This in a way makes me afraid to grow old. I feel that more should be done in the treatment of physical pain for the elderly. Afterall, hopefully, one day, we will all live to ripe old ages. Hopefully, by the time I get to be a senior citizen there would have been great advances in pain treatment.

In case you don’t know Hunter S. Thompson was the perpetual National Affairs Desk editor at Rolling Stone magazine. I’ve been a subscriber to Rolling Stone since the age of 11. When I was 11 I went through a phase when I didn’t like my first name. So the name on my subscription is my middle name. In all the years that I’ve received the magazine I’ve never bothered to change the name on my subscription. The only constants in my life besides my family has been receiving Rolling Stone each month.

I first became aware of Hunter S. Thompson through Rolling Stone. Although, he rarely wrote for the magazine on a regular basis, I enjoyed the articles he wrote about his adventures on the campaign trail.

Thompson will probably best be known for being the originator of Gonzo Journalism. However, to me he will best be known as the inspiration behind >Doonesbury cartoonist >Gary Trudeau’s infamous Uncle Duke character.

Even though I’m sad to hear he’s gone I think it’s cool that he wants his ashes shot out of a canon.

WHAT I HAVE ON:
Today, I have on a bright blue sweater that I haven’t had on in years. It’s so big that I’m not wearing the sweater! The sweater’s wearing me! Under the big sweater I have on pink long sleeve turtleneck like pullover. The pants I have on are blue jeans. The shoes on my feet are brown leather lace ups.


link | posted by gail at 10:12 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com