IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, May 08, 2005

mommy


mommy, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

I'd like the time to wish all you out there who are mothers a Happy Mothers Day!

Mother's Day for me is a time that I usually hide indoors. I don't have any children. However, without fail some stranger usually comes up to me to wish me a happy mother's day. This of course makes me feel even more awkward than usual. I know that the main reason that strangers do this is because I'm black and almost everyone assumes that all black women of a certain age are parents.

Just the other day two random men came up to me and wished me a happy Mother's Day. I never quiet know how to respond to this without sounding like a bitch. So I end up saying saying thank you and awkwardly move on in a perplexed state.

I suppose all my life I've known that I would never have children or get married. I'm not a very out going person and I have unusual interests. How many 35 year old black women do you know who are obsessed with comic books, Star Wars, and Macintosh computers? I suppose when I signed up for season tickets at the symphony and Center Stage I had gleefully sealed my fate? I have to say so far I have thoroughly enjoyed my life without the everlasting commitment of children or spouses dragging me down.

For the record in case your wondering my mother passed away a number years ago. I never got the feeling that she looked forward to Mother's Day. To her I assume it was just another Sunday she had to cook a big dinner. Then again I could be wrong. For all I know she might have looked forward to the cards, flowers, and candies.

The photo above is a colorized picture of her that was taken a few months before she passed away. I did the background with leaves because green was her favourite colour. The photo was taken on Mother's Day of 1995 over at my Aunt Eunice's house. Little did we know at the time that this would be the last Mother's Day that she would ever experience. She passed away suddenty in July of the same year.


link | posted by gail at 10:34 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com