IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Saturday, May 07, 2005


voyseyinheritance, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

Eric Sheffer Stevens and Jenny Sheffer Stevens in Harley Granville Barker's The Voysey Inheritance

Today, I saw The Voysey Inheritance at Center Stage. The Voysey Inheritance is the last show of their 2004-2005 season. I almost didn’t go and was on my way to reschedule for another day because I was feeling kind of run down and tired. Then I went over to the Center Stage web site and noticed that Eric Sheffer Stevens was going to be in the play. I was tired and run down no more! Instead I was excited and motivated. Eric Sheffer Stevens, the turbo hottie who was last seen in Misalliance and Picnic was back in town!

First off I should give you a little background information about the play. The Voysey Inheritance was written by Harley Granville Barker who was a contemporary of George Bernard Shaw. It is often rumored that Barker was in fact the illegitimate son of Shaw. Looking back at old photo’s of Granville Barker I find it weird to write and admit that when he was alive, he was very handsome man. To paraphrase an infamous Rolling Stone magazine cover, Harley Granville Barker, he’s hot, he’s sexy, unfortunately, he’s dead. Anyway, back to the play......

The Voysey Inheritance is about a father who tells his idealistic son and business partner that their solicitors firm engages in the dubious practice of cheating their rich clients. In fact it isn’t a recent development they’ve been cheating their clients for several generations. The son becomes deeply horrified about the business secret his father has disclosed to him. The question then becomes does he carry on with his inheritance of crime or disclose the family secret.





THE VOYSEY INHERITANCE



Written by Harley Granville Barker
Adapted by Gavin Witt
Directed by Irene Lewis



THE CAST


Kelli Danaker........Phoebe


Curzon Dobell........Trenchard Voysey, Jr.


Leo Erickson........Peacey


Carol Halstead........Beatrice Voysey


Mercedes Herrero........Honor Voysey


Diane KaganMrs. Voysey........


Rob Nagle........Major Booth Voysey


Laurence O’Dwyer........Mr. George Booth


John Ramsey........Mr. Trenchard Voysey, Sr.


Kristen Sieh........Ethel Voysey


Eric Sheffer Stevens........Edward Voysey


Jenny Sheffer Stevens........Alice Maitland





Second off I should let you know that I was literally rushing to get to the theatre on time for the matinee performance. When I finally got there I noticed that it was packed. Nearly every single seat was filled. I’m not sure if this was because of David Mamet’s recent adaptation of the play or that I’m not the only Baltimore theatre goer who rushes out whenever I hear three words, Eric Sheffer Stevens. Anyway, to sum it up I felt genuinely lucky to have found an empty seat. Then there he was on the stage dressed in a brown suit. Ahhhhhh! He still had the look of being the head stud muffin. The question now was, “Was he capable of carrying an entire show?“ In the plays he’s previously appeared in he’s primarily been a supporting actor not the lead.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that throughout the play I found myself riveted by his performance and not just his male model good looks. I found it very difficult to punch any holes through his performance. Sheffer Stevens is still a pretty a boy but he’s a pretty boy that can act! I hope that with his looks and talent he successfully makes the transition to soap opera’s then possibly TV and film. Then again for all I know Sheffer Stevens could be plum happy being a stage actor, if so, may he continue doing what he loves to do. Enough drooling over one actor! On with the review!

Overall, I found the play highly enjoyable and riveting. It was an excellent play to close out the season with especially with all the buzz going around about David Mamet’s recent adaptation of the play. While watching the play I can not think of a single performer that felt weak in their acting ability. Everyone seemed to be on their game.

One thing I liked and was intrigued by was the dinning room set designed by scenic director, Allen Moyer. To me in a way it seemed reminiscent of a doll house. Then again it could be because I was sitting in the second to last row... Also I really dug how Moyer designed the office set. Basically, it was a giant black and white drawing. Since I’m an artist I was looking at it thinking to myself, ”Cool!!“

As far as the other cast members are concerned it was nice to see Laurence O’Dwyer back. He was very funny as Mr. George Booth. A man who ironically trusted the elder yet dishonest Mr. Voysey more than Mr. Voysey’s truthful and idealistic son. I suppose some people prefer to be lied to rather than told the truth.

It was also nice to see John Ramsey back again for two plays in a row. It kind of makes me wonder if he’s taken up residence and moved to Baltimore. Anyway, Ramsey rocked as Trenchard Voysey, Sr. the money embezzling father. Unfortunately, he dies by the end of act one.

There was one character I could not quiet get a hold on. That character was Mercedes Herrero’s portrayal of Honor Voysey. It wasn’t quiet her portrayal but her mode of dress. I could not figure out why all the other female characters in the play had the typical turn of the century hairstyle of hair pulled up in buns while Honor Voysey’s hair was somewhat reminiscent of a 1920’s flapper. By the way, the play takes place from 1905 to 1907. Are we to believe that the somewhat flaky Honor Voysey time travels twenty years into the future to get her hair done?

The only out and out shock I had while watching the play was when I read the playbill during intermission. I noticed that there was a cast member listed as Jenny Sheffer Stevens playing the part of Alice Maitland. I thought whoa! His sister is in the play? Playing his love interest? What a weird family! Then I read further and came to the realization that she wasn’t his sister but his wife! I was immediately shocked and crestfallen. Then a little later I recovered from my shock. I recovered with the happy realization that they must be two very forward thinking people to have taken on the same exact last name. Now I envision them as a really cool progressive couple. As far as Mrs. Sheffer Stevens performance goes she was just as good an actor as her husband.

Overall, I highly recommend that you go out and see The Voysey Inheritance. It will be at Center Stage until June 5, 2005.


link | posted by gail at 2:24 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com