IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Monday, June 20, 2005

As I wrote yesterday after I left my father’s house on Sunday I watched back to back Volume I and II of Doctor Who. I obtained these disks legally by buying them from the UK on sendit.com

Overall, the show kicked ass. It was phenomenal! I hope that it makes it to the US very soon. Volume I and II which consisted of episodes 1-6 have been dubbed the vanilla disks. I don’t know why but that’s what they call them over on Outpost Gallifrey. The next slate of episodes to be released on DVD come out in August. I’m not sure if I’ll get them or wait until November for the box set to come out.

2005 DOCTOR WHO QUICK REVIEW

Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor
Billie Piper as Rose Tyler

VOLUME I

ROSE
When Rose Tyler meets a mysterious stranger called the Doctor, her life will never be the same again. Soon, she realises that her mum, her boyfriend, and the whole of Planet Earth are in danger. The only hope for salvation lies inside a strange blue box....

Watching this episode makes me wonder if the reason the series was rejected by US networks is because Rose’s boyfriend, Mickey, is Black. I’m trying hard to think of any other major American TV show that has the white female lead in a relationship with a black man. I can’t think of any... If they do an interracial relationship it’s usually a secondary character. So perhaps this little twist scared the hell out of US TV execs..... I’m only mentioning this because this is the only reason I can think of as to why the show might have been rejected. Overall, it was a pretty good romp. I really loved Rose’s chubby sexpot mum. She was simply hilarious. Overall, the episode was ok.

THE END OF THE WORLD
The Doctor takes Rose on her first voyage through time, to the year 5 Billion. The Sun is about to expand, and swallow the Earth. But amongst the alien races gathering to watch on Platform One, a murderer is at work. Who is controlling the mysterious and deadly Spiders?

This was an extremely excellent episode! It was rollicking good fun. I laughed out loud several times. I wonder if had this been the episode they showed first to US networks the show might have been picked up sooner. Watching the very flat last Earth woman who kept saying to her flunkies, ”Moisturize me! Moisturize me! “, reminded me of a certain co-worker who constantly applies lotion to herself several times a day. Favourite line in the episode is when Rose refers to the very flat woman as a bitchy trampoline. I also loved it when greeting the others aboard the ship Doctor Who realized that he forgot to bring along a gift. He improvised by simply breathing on them saying, ”I give you the gift of breathe!“ I also loved how the Doctor arranges for Rose to talk to her mother on her cell phone while Rose in the future and her mother is in the past. Then he jokes that she should see what the phone bill for that is going to be!

THE UNQUIET DEAD
The Doctor takes Rose back through time to 1869. But in Victorian Cardiff, the dead are walking, and creatures made of gas are on the loose. The time travellers team upo with Charles Dickens to investigate Mr. Sneed, the local Undertaker. Can they halt the plans of the ethereal Gelth?

This was the most scariest episode I saw. I was actually hiding behind a pillow while watching this episode. I also really loved the very familiar looking man playing Charles Dickens. Right now I can't think of his name but he's been in a lot of good movies.

VOLUME II

ALIENS OF LONDON
The Doctor takes Rose home. But when a spaceship crash lands in the Thames, London is closed off and the whole world is on Red Alert. While the Doctor investigates the alien survivor, Rose discovers that her home is no longer a safe haven. Who are the Slitheen?

I loved this episode because in a way it felt realistic as to the effect of going away without notice would have on loved ones. I also kind of felt sorry for the faux alien pig.

WORLD WAR THREE
Downing Street announces mankind’s first interplanetary War. But the real danger is more closer to home. The Doctor, Rose and Harriet Jones race against time to unmask the villainous Slitheen, but only Rose’s boyfriend and mum hold the key to salvation. Can the missiles be stopped?

I really liked the way that Mickey and Rose’s mother played off of each other in this episode. It made me feel that they would make a really great couple. I also found it funny that the Slitheen had a flatulence problem.

DALEK
Beneath the Salt Plains of Utah, the billionaire collector Henry Van Stratten holds the last relic of an alien race. When the Doctor and Rose investigate they discover that the Doctor’s oldest and most deadly enemy is about to break free It’s a fight to the death with Rose caught in the middle.

The return of the Daleks! er Dalek! With this episode you learn that there was something called a Time War and that Gallifrey was wiped out thus leaving the Doctor the sole Gallifreyan left alive. You also learn that the Dalek in Dalek is the sole Dalek left in the entire universe.

I can’t believe I was watching this episode feeling sorry for the Dalek. Scariest part of the episode is seeing a thin scrawny Christopher Eccleston shirtless. He could have at least worked out a little....


link | posted by gail at 10:12 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com