IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, April 06, 2003

”Children behave.” That’s what they say
when we’re together. “And watch how you play.”
They don’t understand, and so we’re running just as fast as we can.
Holding on to one another’s hand.
Trying to get away into the night and then you
put your arms around me and we tumble to the ground and then you
say, “I think we’re alone now. There
doesn’t seem to be anyone around.
I think we’re alone now. The
beating of our hearts is the only sound.”

I think We’re Alone Now, words and music by Ritchie Cordell, @1967 Windswept Pacific Entertainment Co.

I didn't go into work on Thursday. This was because I woke up 15 minutes before I was due in the door. So I had one of two decisions to make, either get in very very late or use up one of personal days. I opted to use my personal day. All day Thursday I was perplexed by something my supervisor Brian said the other day when I told my coworkers about my gallery exhibit. He said that my work *looked* tame in comparison to the stuff that John Waters has in his house. This was odd because I’ve never shown him my artwork. The only people I’ve shown my paintings to at work are Helena and Deborah. I was supposed to have done a painting for Helena of her granddaughter Jasmine in her ballerina outfit. But Helena never bought in a photo so I never pressed the issue. I don’t want to appear to desperate to paint. Heck, I would have done it for free. Hey if anyone out there wants a portrait done I’ll do it for free.

The only possible explanation for what Brian said was that he must have done a Goggle search on my name and found my web site. I hope it’s the one that does not include a link to my blog. Oh, by the way in case you’re wondering the celebrity Helena most resembles is Patti Labelle, with curly hair. The celebrity Deborah most resembles is....hmm that’s a difficult one. I guess I’ll have to get back to you on that. The celebrity Brian most resembles is Mr. Clean and on some days when he’s unshaven he looks like GI Joe @ with Life Like Hair and Beard. You know what I think I shouldn't have told him that I sell my paintings on eBay from time to time. I’m sure he’s dissing me and my artwork behind my back, that is if he looked it up on the internet.

In other news I got a rejection letter from Lee and Low books. This one was kind of good yet bad. It said that the piece is not for us but do try us gain. I guess that means that they kind of liked my work and wouldn't mind if I sent them another story. Oh, well I guess I’ll have to shop my story around about a kid who grows up on a space ship exploring other planets to other markets. Who knows maybe I’ll get a bite? My goal this year ladies and gentleman is to send out two query letters a week preferably to book publishers and magazines who accept email queries. And I MEAN IT THIS TIME,.......really.

Oh, I never told you guys that I came close to being published in a magazine last year. The editor called my house and everything. He was really interested and was willing to work with me since it would be my first nationally published piece. Needless to say I freaked out and couldn't complete the article. I supposed it would be a bad idea for me to submit anymore query letters to Managed Care magazine, that is until they switch editors. In the meantime, maybe I should find a book about how to overcome writer’s block if the magazine query you’ve sent out is accepted after receiving 1 billion rejection letters. Yes, ladies and gentlemen I was stunned into writer’s block, virtually dumbfounded by acceptance. This more than anything should prove to be a cautionary tale against getting used to receiving rejection letters. Never Ever Get Used to Receiving Rejection letters! I think one day I’ll burn them all like one of my favorite writers, Janet Evanovich, claims to have done.

On the art front I have three small paintings I just completed. They have a 1940’s vibe to them. I guess I’m starting to be influenced by the work of Jack Vettriano. Anyway, these painting will be put up for sale on eBay as soon as I scan them. They look great I hope I have big sales from them!

I’m still working on my poster for the Sowebo festival. I hope to have it finished by the end of the week. If that happens I will be way ahead of schedule. Woo Hoo!! Yahoo!! Zip pee dee doo !!!

Aha!! It just occured to me that the celebrity Deborah most resembles is Marla Gibbs from 227. Please, don’t tell her I said that....


link | posted by gail at 11:22 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com