IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Saturday, March 22, 2003

March 17, 2003

Let the drums roll out! Let the trumpet call!
While the people shout! Strike up the band!
Hear the cymbals ring! Calling one and all
To the martial swing Strike up the band!
Strike Up the Band, Words by Ira Gershwin Music by George Gershwin, @1927 WB Music Corp. (Renewed)

It’s St.Patrick’s day. I didn't wear my usual green. Instead I wore my rebel red and black sweater. This was a switch for me because I usually wear either something blue or purple.

I have watercolor class today at School 33. I decide to leave work on time instead of a little later. I do this because I want to buy some masking fluid and some extra paints so I can paint a bunny rabbit statue that I will bring in tonight for class.

The area around Mt. Royal and Cathedral Street could be considered as Baltimore’s premier art supply district. In this area of town you have three art stores to choose from. These stores are Maryland Institute College of Art’s Book Store, Utrecht, and Plaza Art Supplies. I really like to shop at Plaza and Utrecht depending on if I have enough time to comparison shop. I usually stay clear of Maryland Institute. I know the fact that I got rejected for admission has something to do with it. They rejected me so I reject them. Besides the students there seem so holier than though and stuck up.

After getting my art supplies I decide to hit two yes count 'em em two libraries in one day! I went to the main branch of the Pratt to pick up my favorite book on play writing. I want to buy it on Amazon but can’t think of the name. I found it and borrowed it along with a book that includes three screenplays that John Waters wrote. I guess right about now I can say that in my own private home library I own a book autographed by John Waters. I also have books that were autographed by Cal Ripken and Jimmy Carter.

The books I borrowed from the library were The Playwright’s Survival Guide by Gary Garrison and Trash Trio by John Waters.

I then headed to the tiny Federal Hill library. While there I picked up two Anne Tyler books, Accidental Tourist and a Map of the World. I did this because I really enjoyed her book A Patchwork Planet.

I plan on heading out of class early so that I will be able to catch my bus back home. I also want to avoid the drunks this being St. Patrick's Day and there being about 3-4 bars on the section of Light Street where I take my watercolor class.

When I got to class I was the first one there the teacher had to let me in. She was very nervous about Bush’s upcoming speech. The celebrity Sonia, the watercolor teacher, most resembles is Ally Sheedy.

I don’t know why but I really like my watercolor class. It appears to be mainly a group of research scientists who like me wanted to do something in the evening. There’s also this older woman there from California who tends to go on a bit. I like her, she’s spunky, and outgoing. She makes the second transplanted Californian I know who’s very talkative. I have yet to meet a quiet reflective Californian in Baltimore.

I had a ball in class painting the bunny. I used my masking fluid and tried a mixing technique that Sonia showed us. Masking fluid was not a part of our required materials, neither were the watercolor pencils or roller ball ink pen that I used in addition to the required materials. I felt rebellious and free working on that bunny. It’s just a watercolor class it’s not like things are graded. If they were then I guess I probably would have followed the rules more rather than breaking every last one of them. Mondays are my days to paint and be free. I’ll feel sad when the class is finally over.


link | posted by gail at 11:59 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com