IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Saturday, March 22, 2003

October 2002

They’re creepy and they’re kooky, mysterious and spooky, they’re
altogether ooky, the Addams family. Their house is a museum, where
people come to see ‘em, they really are a screeum, the Addams Family.
(Spoke:) Neat. Sweet. Petite
(Sung:) So get a witches shawl on, a broomstick you can crawl on, we’re
gonna pay a call on the Addams Family.

The Addams Family, Theme Song: The Addams Family Theme, Music and Lyrics by Vic Mizzy @ 1964, Renewed 1992 by Unison Music Co.



This month is notable because for the first time in my entire life I traveled to two cities alone and unaccompanied. When I travel out of state I usually take my boyfriend or one of my nieces. This time I did it my way.

I went to the SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) conference which was held in Arlington, Virginia. I made a reservation at the DC Youth Hostel a few days before my arrival. I wasn't quite sure if they’d accept me because Baltimore is close to DC and you have to live a certain amount of miles away to stay in a youth hostel. I called up several times to see if it was ok. I had to do this because every time I called a woman answered and told me that the computers were down so she was unable to check or make reservations. The last time I got her on the phone it was about 7pm at night. It was about ten o’clock at night when I called again, this time I got a guy. He told me that it was ok for me to stay overnight. He also seemed perplexed when I asked about the computers being down all day. Was that woman lying to me about the computers?

So that Friday after work I packed my things and took a train into DC. It was raining lightly outside. When I finally found the Hostel there was a lady there I suspect this was the same lady that kept telling me that their computers were down. She took one look at me and told me that it was not possible for me to stay the night because I didn't live far enough away. I then explained to her that the guy I spoke to on the phone the other night told me that it was ok. She finally relented and let me stay the night. Maybe I’m wrong in feeling this way but I suspect that she did not want me to stay there because I’m black. It should be noted that there was another black girl staying at the hostel but she sounded more white than black. I guess she must have slipped under that woman’s Negro detector. I feel uncomfortable accusing someone of my race of racism against blacks. But that’s how it felt to me. It should be noted that she and the guy I spoke to were both black. I saw him when I checked out of the hostel at 7am. He was very cute laid back with dread locks.

Anyway, the next day I took the Metro into Arlington. The location of the conference was a dream, right down the street was a SHOPPING MALL!! I knew where I was going to be going during our lunch break. While at the conference I got my portfolio reviewed. This was great because now I know how to market my art and what I have to do to make my portfolio more saleable. From the advice that Christine Teague, who has her own agency, gave me I now know that my art style is geared towards the education market. I will work on doing a series of pictures that show a character progressing through a storyline. Before I went there I wasn’t sure if I was setting up my portfolio the right way. Now I know that I have to show pictures on every single page. Christine also told me that I should get a smaller sized portfolio. I didn't bring a giant sized art student portfolio just one that was mid-sized. According to her my paper should be the same size as my portfolio. She also suggested that I get postcards made to send out to potential clients. She also suggested that I find some way to let clients know that I’m an African American artist. According to her they are looking for more African American artists. Also I learned that I shouldn't include a lot of fairies and things of that sort in my portfolio as that might pigeon hole me into a genre.


link | posted by gail at 8:51 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com