IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Saturday, March 22, 2003

March 15, 2002

Two world collide, rival
nations. It’s a primitive clash painting years of frustration.
Bravely we hope against all hope; there so much at stake, seems our freedoms up against the ropes.
Does the crowd understand? Is it east versus west or
man against man? Can any nation stand alone?
In the burning heart just about to burst
there’s a question for answers and a bridge of the past.
In the darkest night, rising like a spire,
in the burning heart the unmistakable fire

Burning Heart, From the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ROCKY IV, Words and Music by Jim Peterick and Frankie Sullivan, @1985 Easy Action Music, Flowering Stone Music. Rude Music & Holy Moley Music

For the first time ever I went to the building that houses the Creative Alliance. I have been a member of that organization for the past 3 years and have never set foot in the building mainly because I had no idea where it was located. I figured since it’s now in it’s waning days of being located on Conkling Street I should visit the place. It turns out you can take the #10 bus there. Conkling Street is right off of Eastern Avenue. I admit I was a little afraid to go there because it’s a predominantly white working class neighborhood. Oddly enough, I have no problems going into neighborhoods like Charles Village, Bolton Hill, or Federal Hill. I think the reason for this is that those neighborhoods are upwardly mobile and you are more likely to find a BMW or a Jaguar parked on the streets. As well as residents who are Doctors, Lawyers, or College Professors. I guess on some innate level I’m a snob, but I’m trying to change that.

When I was in Highlandtown I was surprised to see the number of Latino’s and Latino owned stores and establishments. A thought occured to me that was bought up on the DCRTV web site,”Why isn't there a Latino radio station on in Baltimore?” There’s more than enough Latino’s in our city to support that type of programming. I’m sure it would be very successful.

Anyway, when I got to the Creative Alliance I was the only black person there. I’m not sure if they will accept my artwork for The Big Show. The Big Show is an annual event where they display the artwork of members of the Alliance throughout out locations in Fells Point and Highlandtown.

Each member is allowed to submit only one piece of work. I was working on the painting I intended to contribute up until I bought it to the gallery that very same day. Right now I think it would have looked better if I had taken the building out of the background. I feel like this artist I read about somewhere in an art magazine. This artist would constantly rework his art even while it was hanging


link | posted by gail at 11:58 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com