IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, February 29, 2004

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Today The Passion of the Christ opens up. Ironically enough (Yea, right!) on Ash Wednesday. I suppose I would feel differently about this opening up on Ash Wednesday if I heard that Mel Gibson would be donating the proceeds of this movie to charity. First off, I don’t pretend to be a Bible scholar. I’ve never been to a church on a Sunday a day in my life. I’m Wiccan and my family originates from the West Indies. No, I’ve never performed any voodoo. I have nothing against Christianity or Christians. Like the song goes, Jesus is all right with me.



Back to the Christ movie.....



I’ve never seen it and do not plan on seeing it in a movie theater.... I’ll rent it instead. I don’t want to waste $20 or whatever outrageous amount it costs to see movies these days simply because I find it disturbing that Mel “Mad Max” Gibson is directing it. This man has done nothing but appear in violent movie after movie. It’s almost as if by making this movie Gibson hopes to atone for his acting choices. Which from what I hear from reviews is kind of ironic because this is a violent film about the last twelve hours of Christ’s life.

On a side note, Gibson was raised by an anti-semetic kook, Hutton Gibson. His father has made claims that Vatican II was a ploy by the Jews also he says that all of his children are behind him. Also Mel Gibson belongs to a kooky extremist Catholic sect that does not follow Vatican II and has all of their services in Latin.

I don’t know if the Christ movie is anti-semetic or not I’ve never seen it. However, if you look at all of the things his father has said to the press over the years coupled with Gibson’s extremist Catholic beliefs. It kind of makes you feel, I don’t know....

Things I hate about a movie I’ve never seen. I hate the title of the movie. Why not call it the Passion ”of” Christ instead of the Passion of ”the” Christ? I find using ”the” in a way disrespectful. It’s putting Christ on the level of a borderline megalomaniacal twit like “the” Donald aka Donald Trump. I mean he’s Christ, no “the” needed! What did I miss something? Was there another guy named Christ mentioned in the bible? I think not! My other gripe, is that the movie’s not in English it’s in Aramaic with subtitles. This I feel is overkill. Let’s see the movie is directed by an American, (Gibson never gave up his American citizenship when his family moved to Australia in the 60’s) and stars and an American. Also I hate that Jim Caviezel is playing Jesus. Caviezel has been in lousy movie after lousy movie.

I find it weird that people are going to a Hollywood movie, to get religion. I mean if you want religion go to church! I mean has anyone ever been saved while watching Mel Gibson movies like Lethal Weapons? I don’t recall anyone ever yelling out, “Hallelujah, I see the error of my ways. I’m coming back home to Jesus! Lord have Mercy!!” as Murtaugh blows away another bad guy.

People, you can not expect to find religion or be saved by watching a movie. Read your bibles! Go to church! Yes, I know this might sound odd for a pagan to be saying. However, as a Wiccan we do not believe in proselytizing or going around and saying my religion is better than yours. Frankly, I feel that if you're a Christian, be a Christian. Go to church, read your bibles, avoid this movie, at least until it comes out at the local barber shop or if you don’t live near a black barber shop then wait till it comes out cable ..... Me? I’ll probably rent it when it comes out on Netflix, maybe double bill it with Scorces’ The Last Temptation of Christ.


Today, at work the streak has come to an end. For the past 2 and a half weeks Arnold has worn a long sleeve short to work. Now he’s back to the short sleeved Forest Gump look. Maybe, it was the Christ movie that made him repent and revert back to the short sleeves. Why write about this you ask? Well, it was shocking to see someone who seems to have been born wearing a short sleeved button down cotton shirt suddenly wearing long sleeves.


link | posted by gail at 6:38 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com