IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, March 06, 2005


arcadefire, originally uploaded by willisgirl.

Today, I finally listened to the Arcade Fire’s debut cd entitled, Funeral. It’s absolutely brilliant! I bought the cd because it was highly recommended by a fellow crablogs blogger, Evaporated. To be honest I was a little afraid to buy it fearing that her musical tastes would veer more towards death metal. It was kind of hard to gauge with an album title like Funeral. As you have probably guessed by now I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard. Arcade Fire are not in any way shape or form a death metal band.

The cd has a nice blend of rock and orchestral sounds. In a way they kind of remind me of the Talking Heads and Modest Mouse with a bit of Coldplay thrown in. The group has two singer/songwriters in it, Win Butler and his wife Regine Chassagne. Butler, sounds like he attended the prestigious yet fictiousDavid Byrne School of Singing. Chassagne has a girlish French singing voice that is reminiscent of Bjork.

Anyway, while listening to the cd I was also reading an article about the band in Rolling Stone magazine. I was surprised to find that Chassagne’s family are refugees from Haiti. They left sometime around the time that Francois “Papa Doc” Duvalier took over the small island nation.

Also I was heartened to read that David Bowie bought stacks of their cd’s and hands them out to anyone who will listen. Also shockingly, David Byrne of the Talking Heads is a big fan of the group.

All in all they appear to be poised for greatness. I can’t wait to hear what they put out next.


link | posted by gail at 9:02 PM |


1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda commented at 3:59 AM~  

I'm glad you like them...they are rather amazing. If you get a chance to see them live, I can't recommend it enough. They're insane. And trust me...nothing I recommend will ever be death metal. If anything, it'll veer too far on the other end of the musical spectrum.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com