IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Monday, June 23, 2003

June 23, 2003

We’re goin’ hoppin, (Hop!) we’re goin’ hoppin’ today, where things are
poppin’ (Pop!) the Philadelphia way; we’re gonna drop in (Drop!) on all the
music they play on the Bandstand. (Bandstand.) We’re goin’
swingin’, (Swing!) We’re gonna swing in the crowd, and we’ll be
clingin’ (Cling!) and floatin’ high on a cloud, the phones are ringin’ (Ring!) my mom and
dad are so proud, I’m on Bandstand.
(Bandstand.)

American Bandstand (Theme Song to American Bandstand), Words by Barry Manilow and Bruce Sussman, Music by Charles Albertine, @1954 (Renewed) CHERIO CORP.



As everyone knows the theme music to American Bandstand was originally written in the 50’s. Barry Manilow added words to the music sometime in the late 70’s, early 80’s. I guess if you add words to a preexisting melody the copyright date doesn't change from the melodies original inception date. This is the only explanation I can come up with as to why the above song has a copyright date of 1954.



Today was simply wonderful! The sun was out all day! I ran into Starlinda Babb, she’s an old schoolmate from my elementary and middle school days. I ran into her at the bus stop downtown on Fayette street right across from the First Union building. We fell out of touch after we graduated from middle school. She went on to Western and I went to City. Today’s unexpected meeting was almost like synchronicty or something because I was thinking about her this weekend. She was the only other black girl I knew that liked listening to rock and roll music besides me. Her favorite group back in the day was Hall & Oates. My favorites were the Go-Go’s, The Cars, and The Police. We also shared a love of The Edge of Night, especially the character of, Skylar Whitney. Skylar was this rich handsome debonair millionaire who solved mysteries along with his wife, the ever tempetous Raven.



I have to say it was odd seeing her after all these years. She was the same yet different.... She still had the habit of calling who ever she’s taking to “darling”. Physically, she’s chubbier and her hair is beginning to gray. I found this very alarming because she’s the same age as I am!! Like me she isn't married or has kids so why the graying hair? Anyway, from what she’s told me she seems to being doing fine. She works as a secretary for the City. I was afraid to ask her about her mother. Mainly, I was afraid that she would tell me that her mother was dead. This would make me feel sad reminding me of my mother who was also dead. Mrs. Ruth Babb, Starlinda’s mother, was one of those very dedicated parents. She participated in many PTA events. I think she was in school so much that they eventually gave her job there.



Today, I hope to work on a brochure of black and white drawings. I figure I could just print it up inexpensively on my printer and it wouldn't take up too much disk space. I want to do this because I noticed that some of the markets in the 2003 Children’s Writer’s & Illustrators Market book only use black and white artwork.



Today’s writing prompt says basically, In the summer months, vacationers escape to tropical beaches and relaxing locales. What would paradise be like for you? What would you do there?


link | posted by gail at 10:51 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com