IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! GJ Willis' Art Notes

The Adventures and Misadventures of a Neer Do Well Artist Living in Baltimore.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a visual artist and writer living in Baltimore. I don't have any artist friends. Frankly, artists scare me, there so darn flaky. The above picture is either of me or proof that I'm a pretty decent artist. My goal is to be a self sufficient artist, whereas I wouldn't have to do something else in the day in order to eke out an existence. I also like to attend various cultural events around town. I go to plays, the symphony, etc. Also, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I found this out recently and it has explained a heck of a lot as to why I am as I am.

Previous Posts Favourite Links

The WeatherPixie

www.flickr.com
willisgirl's photos More of willisgirl's photos


Free counters provided by Honesty.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Yesterday, I went to Center Stage to see, The Price, by Arthur Miller. This was the first show I’ve seen this season. I missed Lady Windemere’s Fan which opened up the season.

This season it looks like I will be sitting again next to the elderly black lady with the oxygen tank. This time I found from the conversation she was having with another elderly lady in the row in front of us that her niece left college but decided to return and go to pharmacy school.

THE PRICE by Arthur Miller

The production was directed by Will Frears


Jeff Allin........Victor Franz


Maryann Urbano....Esther Franz


Howard Witt.......Gregory Solomon


Kevin O’Rourke....Walter Franz


Overall, I liked the show a lot. I found it to be very thought provoking. I was surprised to learn after seeing the show that the director of the show is the son of British film director Stephen Frears.

The Price was about two grown brothers who meet for the first time in 16 years after their father died. They meet to divide up their inheritance, which is the old furniture that was contained in their childhood home. They have to do this because the building they lived in is about to be demolished.

One brother sacrificed his own future to support their ruined father, while the other pursued a hollow success as a doctor. In the company of a wise-cracking old junk dealer, self delusion grows into self knowledge. In The Price Arthur Miller challenges our ideas of success and investigates whether, without moral foundation, any gain can guarantee happiness.

In my opinion the best standout performance was that of Howard Witt as Gregory Solomon the furniture appraiser. As Solomon the 90 year old furniture dealer, Witt finds himself in the middle of an uneasy family reunion between two brothers. His unease brought much needed wit and wisdom to the play. He seemed to make all the scenes he was in sparkle and shimmer with life.

Kevin O’Rourke who played Walter Franz, the pompous yet well intentioned brother was also quiet good. His character brought a deeper meaning to the play. At first you feel contempt for Walter abandoning his destitute and ailing father. Walter appears to be a cold blooded reptile of a man. Later you learn that things are not necessarily as they appear to be. Oddly, you end up feeling sympathetic towards his character.

Jeff Allin and Maryann Urbano both gave adequate performances. Of the two Allin gave the better performance as Victor the anchor and protagonist of the play. Urbano seemed to only occasionally be on stage.


Scenic designer Alexander Dodge did a very interesting thing with the set. It appeared to consist of a background piled high with furniture. This was a good way of conveying that the family lived stowed away in an attic with all their worldly possessions around them.

WHAT I’M WEARING: Right now I’m wearing a long sleep shirt that has a picture of a cartoon dog on it. The caption on it reads, “Dog gone tired”. I’m wearing this with blue fuzzy slippers.


link | posted by gail at 11:34 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com